Water Damage DOs and DON'Ts
Any water damage is disruptive and often overwhelming. These emergency tips will assist you in taking the proper actions until SERVPRO of University Place/Lakewood West arrives. Please follow these DOs and DON'Ts to help reduce damage and increase the chances of a successful restoration.
- Shut off the source of water if possible or contact a qualified party to stop the water sources.
- Turn off circuit breakers for wet areas of the building, when access to the power distribution panel is safe from electrical shock.
- Remove as much excess water as possible by mopping or blotting.
- Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removing lamps and tabletop items.
- Remove and prop up wet upholstery cushions for even drying.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting.
- Remove to a safe, dry place any paintings, art objects, computers, documents, and other materials that are valuable or sensitive to moisture.
- Use wooden clothespins to keep furniture skirting off damp floors.
- Hang draperies with coated hangers to avoid contact with wet carpeting or floors.
- Hang furs and leather goods to dry separately at room temperature.
- Enter rooms with standing water where electrical shock hazard may exist.
- Enter affected areas if electrical outlets, switches, circuit breakers, or electrical equipment are exposed to water. Always avoid electrical shock hazards.
- Leave books, newspapers, magazines, or other colored items on wet carpets or floors to cause staining.
- Leave Oriental rugs or other colored rugs on wet wall-to-wall carpets to cause staining.
- Use your household vacuum cleaner to remove water, possibly causing electrical shock or damage to the vacuum cleaner.
- Use TVs or other appliances while standing on wet carpets or floors, especially not on wet concrete floors.
- Turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet or enter rooms where ceilings are sagging from retained water.
If you experience water damage in your home or place of business, call SERVPRO of University Place/Lakewood West. We are faster to any size disaster, bringing the latest equipment and training to restore your property “Like it never even happened.”