SERVPRO and Environmentally Safe Cleaning
Here at SERVPRO, we pride ourselves in being able to offer a range of environmentally safe cleaning products. From carpet cleaning, to general all-purpose cleaners, SERVPRO of University Place/Lakewood West is able to do our job, and accommodate our obligation to the environment. However, not everyone has the resources we have to clean consciously. Well, SERVPRO is here to help! Today we are going to go over some environment saving tips that you can use when cleaning your home! According to Toxic-FreeFuture.org, some things that you can do are:
1) Make your own detergent! Whether it's a blend of ingredients such as baking soda, white vinegar, and dish soap or a simple all purpose 50/50 vinegar/water mix, not only are homemade cleaners better for the environment, but the can be much easier on you, your children, and your pets.
2) Use fewer products. Instead of using multiple cleaners for separate rooms, sticking to one or two general all-purpose cleaners can be a safer, cleaner, and more efficent choise for your home!
3) Learn How To Read Labels!
Avoid products with the signal words Poison, Danger, and Warning. Don’t be misled by vague, unregulated claims including “natural,” “eco-friendly” and “non-toxic.” Look for third-party certified products, such as those endorsed by Design for the Environment.
4) Buy from companies that completely disclose ingredients. If a company does not list all of the ingredients, then it can be hard if not impossible for you to make sure that you are cleaning safely!
5) Avoid unidentified 'fragrance' in products, or choose fragrance-free. Synthetic fragrances can trigger asthma and may contain hormone-disrupting chemicals. Instead of masking unwanted odors with fragrance, tackle the source.
6) Where possible, avoid antimicrobials. Disinfecting, by nature, aren't the best products to use on your countertops and other exposed surfaces.
7) Focus on safer cleaning techniques. For example, use separate cutting boards for meat and vegetables, replace kitchen sponges regularly, disinfect sponges by boiling them, and always wash hands after using the bathroom.
8) Regularly wash your hands, even outside of the bathroom
9) Practice safe storage and usage.
Never mix products, even homemade green cleaners. Chemicals can have dangerous reactions when combined – for example ammonia and bleach together create poisonous fumes. Always store cleaning products out of children’s reach. Ventilate, use gloves, and other precautions as recommended. Dispose of old, hazardous cleaning products through your county’s household hazardous waste collection program.
10) If you are a fan of toxic free future, follow the link above to become a member. Additionally, if you approve of SERVPRO of University Place/Lakewood West's use of environmentally safe cleaning products, leave us a review on Google, Facebook, or Yelp!!
If you have any commercial or residential cleaning needs, give us a call at (253)-896-3000, and you'll see how SERVPRO of UP/LW is faster to any size disaster!!!